Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The Gossips


I created this painting for a fundraising gala for Pynelogs Cultural Centre in Invermere.  Pynelogs is celebrating its 100th birthday and a hundred artists were asked to create a work of art for donation.  
I walked from my daughter's house down to the small lake adjacent to Pynelogs in search of some inspiration and to see if the Painted Turtles had come out of hibernation.  
Indeed they had.  One log was covered by twenty of them basking in the sun's warmth.  I was delighted to notice a Blue Heron fishing for lunch.  As I made way closer to the water's edge to get a better look at the turtles out on the lake, I looked up to see the heron had landed on this log with a solitary turtle sunning himself.  A spot of whimsy had me imagining the heron and turtle having a rather chatty time gossiping about the upcoming party and Pynelogs.  I couldn't help but smile to myself and think what a perfect image to capture on canvas.
I am having so much fun working on black gessoed canvas that I felt compelled to paint 'the gossips' on black.  


The Gossips of Dorothy Lake
12 x 12
acrylic on canvas

No comments: