Monday, July 7, 2014

Turtle Tales


Turtle Tales
12 x12 acrylic on canvas

This is the second painting I completed to donate to Pynelogs for their fundraising efforts at their 100th Birthday Gala.  I had so much fun working on these little guys! I'm even thinking of doing another turtle one on a smaller canvas.
 I love turtles.  They have such an ageless aura to them.  Every time I visit Pynelogs I scan Dorothy Lake for a glimpse of them. For me they are an integral part of the Pynelogs experience.
It seemed like the perfect image to capture as belief has it that the Painted Turtle is able to teach you the power and use of colour. I like the way they seem to enjoy each other while getting some “r and r” in the Sun.
 The delicate stripes of cadmium yellow on the turtles’ outstretched necks and the pyrrole red of the undershell are highlighted by the ebony background. The use of black canvas is a departure for me.  It is a great backdrop for adding dramatic emphasis to a subject matter.


No comments: